Interview "What Walaa Wants"


After one of the screenings Johanna and I interviewed Christy Garland, Walaa and Ekram Zubaydi.
It was an interesting film and I would really recommend you to watch it!
Walaa's answers were translated by Ekram, who was with them for a longer time and also involved in the project.


fGR: So first of all: Thank you for this very interesting film! And I wanted to ask you (Christy Garland) how you conceived this idea?
CG: It started with the idea of doing a film about anything political and I always start my films with the “who” not the “what”. There are a lot of documentaries you see which are about subjects but I always start by wanting to make a film about an interesting person. All my films follow people very closely and it’s always a very personal story. It’s the journey which they go through. From the most intimate perspective as I can and I try to see the world through their eyes. An important thing is that everything we see (at the Westbank) is always as much as possible through Walaas’s perspective.

fGR: How did you shoot? Was it mostly just you with the camera following around?
CG: It was always me.

fGR: So I guess it makes it much easier? At least a bit…
CG: Yeah… Sure I was annoying with the camera, but after a while they forgot about me. Especially when you are shooting for a long time. So it does make it possible. The more you bring other people in the more they shut up and no one is comfortable. So you’re exactly right about that.

fGR: And how long were the periods during which you were shooting each year?
CG: They varied actually. First time I went I was there for a long time, but I only met Walaa in the last 3 days. Second time (in 2013), when she was turning 17, I went there for two weeks. She applied to the PSF in 2014 and 2015 was the training camp. And the last shoot I did was just a few weeks ago.

fGR: And did you stay the whole time for the training camp?
CG: I was actually editing another film, which was created in an east European workshop. So I was flying to the Westbank on the weekends. I went there four times, from beginning of August until November. And I did stay 10 days for one time.

fGR: One question for you (Walaa). Was it strange when she asked you to film a movie about you and your life?
Walaa: At the beginning I refused the idea that someone follows me with a camera. To be honest, in our society in Palestine normally we don’t accept cameras. And especially when it's connected to female women. Can you imagine a camera following a girl with a hijab? Normally our culture and the society doesn’t accept this kind of work. But after thinking about this I said: “No, I will do it.” My family and especially my mother was supportive and she loved the idea of Christy making a film about us. To be honest, at the beginning it was annoying, it was difficult for me to accept the camera and someone following me all the time. But: “Thank God that we made this film!”

fGR: We are very glad, that you decided to make this movie!
And another question: How did the people react when you were followed by the camera?
Walaa: Some people were surprised, they felt curious. They asked: “What is Christy doing with Walaa?”. But some people acted normal, they didn’t care about the camera. And for example my aunt always tried to avoid the camera.

fGR: And what are your goals as a policewoman? Especially when you’re maybe having kids in the future.
Walaa: My goal is to improve my work at the PSF and achieve a higher rank at the PSF. And the normal working-time is not a problem, I can still have a family. If I have a family, they will help me to organize my life.

fGR: So, a question for you both – how did you meet and how did you end up working together for so long? (to Christy and Ekram Zubaydi)
CG: She needs to answer this question every time… (laughs) Actually I worked with this game-girl workshop which had contacted her through the “Palestinian Center for Peace and Democracy”. But I didn't met her there and then she was no longer working with them and I got bored with that workshop, because it was just a lot of girls starring at computers. Even though it was nice, it was a wonderful workshop! But it wasn’t that interesting for a film-maker. That's why I asked some people where some interesting stories are. We got in touch and sort of started to hang out because of this and then, when I met Walaa, I called her and she was essential in telling them that I can be trusted. And she’s been with us ever since…!
The film could not have been made without her… Not only because she speaks two langauages. But they trusted her, so they trusted me.

EZ: To be honest I’m a social activist, I’m a political activist and I’m a feminist too! So when I met Christy and she told me about the story I was interested. I’m working with young people so I thought the story would be a great story for international people to know more about Palestine! And it’s important to have a good example for other young people and to give them the hope, that you can achieve your dreams! It’s not easy to live under occupation, so I found that this story is a part of our story – the story of the Palestinian people. So I was supportive and I loved it!
fGR: One last question – how do you want to spread this great movie?
CG: We will have a North American premiere, we are waiting to find out when that will be and where that will be. I will just try to travel with it as far and wide as I can! And we will take Walaa to as much places as possible, because I think she is a great ambassador!

fGR: Thank you so much for the movie and the interview!
22.02.18, Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment